I had intended to post today about my hubby's birthday on Monday, but as with most parents, he is getting bumped a day for the sake of his child.
Yesterday was a big day in the life of our little guy. What made the day such a big one...one word...POOP! He went poop in the big boy potty! Whooohooo!
Okay, to be honest, I didn't wake up yesterday thinking that our goal for the day was to start potty training, and honestly, we haven't officially started the process. It just kind of happened. I was doing a normal, every day diaper change, when I noticed the poor little guy "straining" a little. I knew exactly what was on his mind. My first "Best Mommy in the World" thought wasn't, "I am so in tune with my child that I now know that he is ready to poop on the big boy potty." No, my actual thought was, "I just spent 10 minutes battling to get him on this changer, and if I put this clean diaper on him right now, he's going to poop in the minute I put him back on the ground, and we're going to have to start the battle all over again! Nope, not happening!" Plain Mommy truth right there.
I asked him if he wanted to try to poop on the big boy potty. When he said "yes" with a very big smile on his face, we headed to the bathroom. Of course, because I hadn't planned on doing that yesterday, I didn't have the proper toddler potty or potty seat. Even with Mommy helping him, my poor little guy with his small bum had to spread his legs pretty far to keep from falling in. That made it where he basically stared between his spread legs for the next five minutes. I had never seen a little boy concentrate so hard. He was focused, let me tell you.
I have to admit, he did a great job. I guess you could say he knew exactly what to do. The cutest part of all was that each time I asked him if he was done, he would look me straight in the eye and say, "More". He was right every time. When he was done pooping and peeing, he told me he was done, which led to him getting to do one of his favorite things of flushing the toilet. Mission accomplished! We high-fived and cheered together right there in the bathroom! I cannot tell you how proud of himself he was! You could tell he felt like such a big boy! When Daddy got home after work, the little guy was so excited that he wanted to work really hard to repeat the peeing process just for his father. It took a while, but they double high-fived once it was all over! Two proud guys!
I have no idea when we'll "officially" start the potty training process. The plan had been to start towards the end of the summer, once little sister arrived and we all adjusted to our new life of a family of four. Garrett may have other ideas. I think we're going to get a toddler potty and see how interested he is over the next month or so.
All parents out there, please send your potty training advice our way! We'll take any help we can get!
Thanks for indulging this Mommy-of-a-Toddler!
1 comments:
YEAH Garrett! I have no real potty training advice except to not push it, but he seems pretty ready. Jack is still in the "trying it out" phase too, and Juliet was just way too easy. We just told her she was done with diapers and that was that. I have a feeling Jack will be a little more difficult. Good luck!
Post a Comment