Several months ago, Jeff found out that the "Toyota Texas Bass Classic" fishing tournament was going to be held at Lake Conroe this year. For those of you who are saying, "The what?" just like I did when he first said it, it apparently is one of the final tournaments of the year and has the best of the best "anglers" (aka "fisherman", right Gina?) in the country. Jeff has been excited about it for months.
The original plan was for my family to come into town to visit that weekend and play with the kids and me while Jeff played at the lake, but earlier last week, my dad got the dreaded flu. It was a no-go for the SoRelle's to come to H-town. We were really sad to hear they couldn't come and really can't wait to see them at the end of the month! With the news of them not coming though, we quickly had to change gears and plans for the weekend. The pics you see below are ones of our new plans.
Our Friday FUN was a day with just me and the kids, for the most part. Our friends, Anne and Regina, helped me out a ton at the last minute and watched the kiddos while I ran to a drs. appt. that morning. After Garrett wore them out that morning, the kiddos and I were on our own for the rest of the day and night. We had FUN being bums (PTL for long naps!), playing at the park, and just hanging out together.


Our Saturday FUN was a day spent in the big city of Montgomery and at the lake. The kids and I headed there in the morning to spend some quick moments with PaPa and Oma before they left for the tournament to volunteer some. After seeing them off, Daddy borrowed PaPa's boat for a while and took Garrett on a quick boat ride to search for some fish. Grace even got to sit on the boat for the first time before the guys headed out. Her Daddy was so proud of her sitting there all sweet and pretty in her purple!






Our FUN with Cas and Gina started once the guys got back from fishing. Garrett fished with Aunt Gina for a while but decided to let her fish solo once I said "smile" for this picture.

The boy FUN was had by Daddy, Garrett, and Uncle Cas at the tournament's Expo that afternoon. They saw some stink'n BIG fish in a fish tank.

Garrett showed them what a largemouth bass looked like!


They also had FUN letting Garrett try out the gun on a military boat that was there on display. If this isn't an NRA ad, I don't know what is!


They wore him completely out!

The girl FUN did not involve fish or guns in any form or fashion, trust me! It involved shopping and other girly things. We hit lots of antique stores in downtown Montgomery, but our favorite was a new store called "Just for Grins"! If you are ever out that way, you have got to stop by there. It is a baby girl heaven! They have the cutest handmade things for little girls...bags, lamp shades, bows, burp cloths, clothes...the list goes on and on. It's actually owned by a friend of Gina's and my college roommate from Lubbock. Small world without a doubt.



Before heading home that night, we ate some good ol' country cookin' at a local restaurant called Phil's. It is some of the best fried food in the area, and we did our fair share of eating a table full of it!
Our Sunday FUN was a day with just my hubby and the Webster's! Nana was so sweet to babysit the kiddos for us so Jeff and I could have a day together, one that didn't involve any sort of diaper bag, bottle, sippy cup, or car seat. Seriously, I can't believe I'm going to say this, mostly because I never thought there was a chance someone could have fun at a fishing tournament, but we had an absolute blast!



We walked around the Expo grounds some and looked at everything and then watched the "weigh in" to see who of the top 10 won the tournament. Gina mentioned on her blog post about the weekend that the story about who won the tournament and who didn't would bore people to tears. I have to completely disagree with my friend. It was hilarious (and so is her story about the porta potty!)! They got down to the last few guys and an angler named Andy Montgomery was in the lead. If you want to try and imagine what he was like, just picture a sweet, humble guy who sounded just like the "Chicken Catcher" from "America's Got Talent". He got up there on the stage, with the thickest accent, and talked about how the winning money would change his life. Gina was immediately his biggest fan and wanted to him to win. He made it up until the final two and then was beat out by a whopping 4 ounces! While everyone else was standing up clapping for the winner, Gina sat down and refused to celebrate the winner's success! Absolutely refused! She just kept saying that it wasn't fair!

After the celebrating was done, Gina said she just wanted to let the runner up know that she was sad he didn't win and thought he should have. The pros were signing autographs not far from our seats...so...yep...you guessed it...off the four of us went to find the guy and let Gina talk to him. Hilarious! When we got up to him, she told him what was on her "heart". With a big grin on his face, he replied with, "You're not as sad as I am!" What do two women talking to a fishing pro do next? Take our picture with him, of course. Yep, the two of us, not our hubbies who actually were the ones who wanted to come to the fishing tournament. Hilarious! Our men were laughing as hard as we were. I think they fell in love with us all over again!


The real angler in our group of four got to meet a pro, too. Jeff was pumped to get to meet and shake hands with Kevin Van Dam, apparently one of the top fishermen in the nation.

Our FUN evening ended with one of the best country concerts I've ever been to. Josh Turner put on an awesome show! At one point, Gina leaned over and asked me if she was at a country concert or a praise and worship concert. He apparently is a Christian, and he definitely "sings his message" as Cas said. My favorite song was "The Way He Was Raised"! Chills all over!

Thanks, Jeff, for a FUN weekend! I sure love you!



10 comments:
I enjoyed seeing your family and the weekend you had. You look great,like a teenager. And the babies are so cute. Tell you family hello!
Love,
Jennifer
Sounds so fun!! Miss you guys!
I cannot believe you wrote about all of this! It was so silly and fun wasn't it? We had such a great, great time. I wish we could do it all over again this weekend.
Hey, girl, I totally know one of my big weaknesses right now and that is getting my kiddos' baby books done...they're still sitting in the closet...sad, I know...this blog is the closest thing I've got, and if I don't type it up right after it happens, this brain of mine forgets...sad, I know! :-) I completely agree about doing it all over again this weekend...we're always game for FUN! :-)
Sarah, we miss you guys, too!!!
i just realized that you guys now know the tuleys. katie said john david is in garrett's class for MDO. small world. sounds like a fun weekend!
How cute Sarah. Loved seeing the pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Janna Thomas Jackson
Alright you guys! Grandson on a military PT Boat manning the artillery! Now, that's what I'm talkin' about! That's my guy!
Papa
His Great-Great Grandfather Frank would be proud! He was president of the New Mexico Rifle Association in the '50's.
Papa
Post a Comment