(Warn readers that this post involves talk of young children's "potty" escapades and the word "poop" is definitely used more than once - Check)
Have husband woken up by three-year-old son saying, "Daddy, I'm wet!" - Check
Have one-year-old daughter wake me up moments later crying through the monitor because she wanted to be like her older brother and be wet and then top him by being dirty, too - Check
Proceed to give daughter a bath due to extent of wetness and dirtiness - Check
While bathing our daughter, watch husband clean up our son from wetting accident and change the sheets on a big boy bed and a crib - Check
Both parents attempt to get ready while tag teaming holding a screaming baby who doesn't feel well - Check
Kiss husband goodbye as he leaves for work, while secretly thinking, "You're really leaving me here all day by myself, aren't you?!?" - Check
Try to convince our son to eat his breakfast while his sister throws her cherrios on the floor and cries - Check
Call the pediatrician to set up an appointment for daughter who now really doesn't feel well - Check
Finish breakfast for both kids and try to convince them to play nicely together for just a few minutes while I try to finish getting ready - Check
Cuddle with sick daughter on the couch as son jumps all over the couch like a jumping bean, while waiting to hear back from the pediatrician's office with a confirmed appointment time - Check
Change several of daughter's diapers and supervise son peeing in the potty - Check
Get both kids dressed, diaper bag packed, and us all loaded in the car - Check
Drive through at McDonald's for a large Root Beer for Mommy - Check
Swing by real quickly and sign up son for swimming lessons - Check
Arrive at pediatrician's and wait for over 30 minutes for dr - Check
Try to entertain two children in the dr's exam room with just two hot wheels and the "crinkly" paper on the examining table - Check
Hear son say the dreading potty training words, "Mommy, I pooped!" - Check
Check son's pants to find out that he is telling the truth but have to decide that the doctor will be in within seconds and tell son that we will handle the situation in a moment - Check
Hear son say again in a few moments, "Mommy, I pooped again!" - Check
Decide to handle the situation right then - Check
Regret that decision - Check
Realize we have entered a potty training nightmare when realize son has not only pooped in his underwear by also all down his shorts and legs - Check
As standing in the dr's exam room with one sick child sitting on the table while the other child is laying spread legged and covered in poop, have the dr walk in ready for daughter's exam - Check
Stand there in disbelief that this is really happening while saying in my head over and over, "Seriously?! Seriously?!" - Check
Apologize profusely - Check
Attempt to hold son still while attempting to clean up the situation, at same time fearing we may run out of wipes at this point - Check
Apologize profusely - Check
Ask nurse for a bag to discard the mess - Check
Apologize profusely - Check
Get son situated in chair so that daughter can finally be examined, only to hear him say every few seconds, "Mommy, there's more poop!" - Check
Attempt to ignore son for a moment while listening to the doctor say our precious daughter has yet another double ear infection - Check
Hear son saying in Rain Man fashion that there's still poop somewhere - Check
Hand son a wipe and tell him to clean it up - Check
Finally finish exam of daughter while son, who is wearing a T-shirt, a diaper (forgot extra pair of underwear), no shorts (forgot those, too), and Crocs, happily cleans up the eluding poop mess - Check
Gather up both children and infamous smelly bag and head to the car - Check
Grin and nod and say, "Potty training accident" to those with curious looks as to my sons creative attire (or lack there of) as we walk through the lobby - Check
Have son throw infamous smelly bag in trash can as get extremely unhappy daughter in the car - Check
Strap son in his car seat - Check
Call husband and mother with double ear infection update and entertain them and myself with the potty training nightmare that just occurred - Check
Head home after a quick stop at CVS - Check
Get daughter situated for a much needed nap - Check
Ask son to occupy himself real quickly with the task of putting his dirty shorts in the laundry room, only to hear the door to the dryer (full of clean laundry) shut and him saying, "I did it!" - Check
Pray to God that I don't hear the word "poop" again for the rest of the day - Check
Think people might need a good laugh for today and headed to start a blog post - Check
Hear my daughter talking sweetly in her sleep through the monitor and then hear my son say, "Mommy, I love you!" out of the blue - Best Check of All!
17 comments:
Sarah,
I love these posts...you are such an entertaining writer it is no wonder God gives you such great material to work with:) And no, I don't miss those days at all....
laughing hysterically- check! :)
A day in the life! In think every Mom with young kids can sympathize!
Cindy
You poor girl! Those days are hard, but you seem to handle it with much grace!!! I hope your little one feels better!
Christy
Okay Sarah, I was laughing out loud reading this because I have been in that same situation!! NOT FUN!!!!! I chose to have my kids two years apart and for a while, I was thinking to myself, "WHAT WAS I THINKING???!!!!!" But, let me assure you, it does get better. Before you know it, they will BOTH be potty trained and not wanting your help at all!!! Enjoyed your blog for today!! HANG IN THERE!
Jacy
You poor thing!! That was hilarious, but I imagine you didn't think so at the time! It sounded like the day had a nice ending though :)
Beth Castille
I used to teach middle school...it was the same feeling...you keep thinking that this can't really all be happening just like it is all at the same time and then you laugh because there's nothing else to do! :-) I can't tell you how many times in the last several years while teaching and then being a parent that I've thought, "At least life isn't boring!" Wouldn't trade it all for anything! Love you all and hope you got a good laugh out of our crazy morning today too! :-)
Oh so funny. Didn't we tell you it would be like this? Did we leave the poop part out?
Just don't let G-man turn those into tatoos.
Anne
The blog is a scream!
Mom
Bless your heart! I just read about your morning. Ahhhhh, the joys of Motherhood…don’t you want three or four more? I wish I could have been there to help you. A Mother really needs at least 10 hands sometimes, and wouldn’t it be fantastic if we could clone ourselves. I hope you have a chance to take a well deserved nap. Please give little Gracie a big hug from her Nanny and I hope she feels better soon, and give Garrett a hug too.
Nanny
hysterical!!! that's why my boys are 5 yrs apart!
Robin Petry
I think I have had that day!! You will be able to look back on this and laugh...someday!
Oh my gosh!! That is too funny, but really awful all at the same time...maybe tomorrow will just be average. Poor Garrett and all his poop, yucky!! Sorry Grace isn't feeling well...hope she is feeling better soon.
Renee
You crack me up!
Ronda
Wow! Is it bad that I'm laughing at this? I guess there's nothing else you can do in a situation like this except laugh. Thanks for making my day look a lot better!
I just read this (I don't know how I missed it) and cracked up when you handed Garrett a wipe and told him to clean up his own poop. I LOVE THAT! Hilarious, girl.
Oh! Sarah! We must publish that Poop Blog! Absolutely precious!
Papa & Honey
Post a Comment