Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Father and a Son

Watching Garrett with his Daddy is one of my favorite things in the entire world! It's not just because I love them both so much. It's because this is a whole new experience for me. As my mom says, we grew up in "a family full of women." When Garrett was born, there had not been a male born into our family since 1945 when my uncle was born! Besides my uncle, the only men in the family have always been ones who married into it. I have always been surrounded by women who all had daughters, so for the most part, I grew up watching parents interact with their daughters, not sons. Now that I'm getting to watch my husband and his son get to have this type of relationship, specifically designed by God for fathers and sons, it's hard to put into words what it does to my heart. God definitely knows about a Father and a Son, and this is an amazing thing to watch!

It's also a fun thing to watch! I got to watch it just the other night when Garrett helped his Daddy put together the new play "fort" in the backyard. Everything in him wanted to help his Daddy. He stood on the edge of the sidewalk for a long time at first, just watching his Daddy work. Every once in a while, he would inch forward and then look back at me with a huge grin. Then, finally, he plunged into the grass and started trying to move one of the pieces of the fort. It was precious to watch him look over at Jeff as they were both working. He not only wanted to watch his Daddy work. He wanted to make sure his Daddy was watching him work. When the job was all done, he was so excited about what they had done! He and his Daddy make quite a team!







If you know me well at all, you know how I feel about "cheerleaders" (I was always a jock, what's a girl to do?), but let me just say that I couldn't be happier to be a cheerleader for this father and son team! :-)

3 comments:

Gina said...

I am so excited to get in there with him!!!

Kelly Bowman said...

those are the cutest pictures, what a fun fort for him to play on, he is going to love it!

Ronda said...

What a cute helper!