Before we left the house and while we waited in the room for the first lesson to start, he was thrilled, especially about maybe getting to wear his new swim goggles.

Then, he was asked to actually get in the water and start the lesson. The screaming started and didn't stop...for...the...ENTIRE...lesson! Yes, the entire lesson! It was a LONG lesson!
As I got him ready to head home after the first lesson, I knew there was going to be a bad way and a good way to parent him in this situation. I don't know if I even got close. All I know is that before each of his next lessons, he would tell me, "Mommy, I won't cry and I won't scream my whole lesson today!" He sounded so sincere and genuine, but as soon as he got in that water, the crying and screaming started again. It got some better with each lesson, and he did learn a lot (despite him telling his instructor at times that he couldn't kick because his feet were broken or he left them at home).


Thank you, Papa and Honey, for the swim lessons!

Thank you also, Grace, for being Brother's cheerleader all summer!

0 comments:
Post a Comment