I've been looking for new recipes for side dishes, especially ones that involve getting more veggies into the tummies of our family. The running joke with our extended families is that years ago we believe Jeff was attacked by a band of vegetables. Ever since, he just hasn't eaten them, minus a few choice ones every now and then. Every time Garrett turns down a cookie and then in turn eats a plate full of green beans, we laugh and say it's a good thing he looks just like Jeff, because his eating habits are nothing like his father's. See why I've been looking for new and creative recipes that have veggies in them?!?
I stumbled upon a new one this last week and tried it out last night. It was awesome and a hit with my man!
Black Bean Salsa
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (10 oz.) Rotel, drained
1 cup whole kernel corn, frozen or canned
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 T lime juice
1/4 t ground cumin
Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve with tortilla chips or as a side dish for tacos, enchiladas, etc.
Did you notice the word CORN in that recipe?!? It was only a cup, but that corn was in there by golly, and my husband ate it by the chip full. We may be making progress here. BTW, we actually didn't have the cilantro and lime juice in the house last night, so I made it without them. It tasted great, but I'm sure it would have been even better with them. I'll throw them in next time. If you're looking for something super easy to put with a Mexican food dish, this one is for you! Happy cooking (and eating)!
7 comments:
Um, I hate to break it to you, but corn is not a veggie....I didn't realize this until recently either....it really has no nutritional value whatsoever!! But even twinkies are made from it! Bizarre huh!?! :-)
Ruthie
Okay, well, we're so not telling my husband that piece of information...we're on an upswing with him at least "thinking" he's eating veggies! :-)
Jeff, if you're reading this, just completely ignore Ruthie's comment for the time being...keep telling yourself, "I ate veggies and like them! I ate veggies and like them!" :-)
Nothing like bursting a woman's cooking pride!
That sounds super yummy! Black beans are good for you! :D
I know....it burst my pride when I thought I was feeding my child veggies too! Maddie loved to grab the whole ear of corn and chomp down on it! Kinda stinks huh!?! I've made salsa similar to that too...it IS awesome!!!!!!
Ruthie
Okay, Ruthie got me just plain ol' curious about the world of CORN. I keep finding online that corn can be either a grain, a vegetable, or even a fruit...it all depends on where in the process of harvesting and consuming you're talking about. I don't know how valid my sources are because I didn't have a chance to look too deep into the world of google, but that's what I found serveral places. The blog comments on this post may die a slow death after I type this one, but I thought I would throw it out there...anyone find anything different about the wonderful food of CORN?!? :-)
You can read a whole book about corn..."The Omnivore's Delimna"....Amanda let me borrow it....SO many things are made from corn...including twinkies...really!!! I'm only a few chapters into the book, but it's really interesting....grain makes definite sense.....
Ruthie
Post a Comment