Thursday, July 30, 2009

He Said it...He Finally Said It!

Those of you who are around us and Garrett very much know that he has been saying "Daddy" (sounds like "Daddee" with a very strong Southern accent) for over a year. If he says, "Hi, Daddy" once a day, he says it a million times. I've tried to be a good sport, but come on, the kid is 2 years old now and hasn't said "Mommy", "Momma", "Mom", or even "Hey, You!" yet. Deep down, I know the kid is simply messing with me, because he smiles that mischievous grin every time I ask him to say it (okay, beg him to say it!)

Jeff realized a couple weeks ago that I was really starting to take it personally (not really, but desperately wanting him to say it), so he jumped in and started trying to practice with Garrett at meal time. This plan severely backfired. Instead of Garrett taking the wisdom of his father to heart and starting to say the name of the woman who birthed him, he started a new game. It goes a little something like this...


Jeff: Garrett, what's my name?

Garrett: (boldly and with a big smile) Daddy!

Jeff: (pointing at me) Garrett, what's her name?

Garrett: (pointing at me with a look of deep thought) Daddy?

Me: (pretending to be shocked and offended to play along with the little stink) I'm not Daddy!"

Garrett: (pointing at me with a smirk on his face) Uh, Bob? (from Veggie Tales)

Me: I'm not Bob!

Garrett: (pointing at me) Uh, Elmo?

Me: I'm not Elmo!

Jeff: (trying to help) Garrett, she's not Daddy!

Garrett: (pointing at me) Uh, Not-Daddy?

That one pushed me over the edge!

Then...yesterday...it happened! I had put both kids down for a nap and was sitting at the computer when I heard this sweet voice coming from the living room. The voice was saying, "Momma! Momma! Momma!" Garrett then came around the corner carrying his nite nite blanket. He was wanting me to put him back down for a nap and cover him up. He said "Momma"! How in the world could I resist! After happily meeting my sweet sons request, I walked out of his room and as quietly as possible (I mentioned that both kids were napping at the same time, right?) and did the Momma Happy Dance! Now, you have to know that he spent the next 15 minutes coming back and forth out of his room with his nite nite blanket and saying those same sweet words. I was ecstatic he was finally saying my name but also knew he was trying to postpone his nap. A small amount of discipline followed unfortunately. I then almost positive that he was now not going to say "Momma" again until he started kindergarten, but as soon as nap time was over, he said those lovely words for the rest of the day! "Hi, Momma" rang in my ears over and over!

To some of you blog readers this may seem like a small, insignificant blog post, but to this Momma, it isn't...because...he said it...he finally said it!

3 comments:

Sarah W said...

I totally just teared up! :D

Cindy Krempa said...

Oh goodness girl...I teared up too! All Mom's know that is soo NOT small and insignificant!

Amy D. said...

I can SO relate! I totally remember the first time Simon said Mama--he said da-da at like 8 months!!! But it took him FOREVER to say mama--I was SO HAPPY! and it never gets old!!!