Friday, September 25, 2009

"He's Two!"

Gina and I walked together last Monday while the little guy was in school and Grace was snoring away in her stroller. We ended up and walked further in the heat than we had intended to when we set out for a casual morning walk. Despite being soaked to the bone when it was all said and done, the conversation was great and exactly what my heart needed that morning. We talked a lot about the kids, especially Garrett and what it's been like the last few months with us adjusting to being a family of four. At the end of it all, she looked me straight in the eyes and said in a way only Gina can...
"GIRL, HE'S TWO!"

My head and my heart got the message loud and clear!

When I'm running around doing my all important to-do list, I need to slow down and remind myself that time flies by so fast...
"He's already two!"


When I expect him to be a "big boy" just because we have another baby in the house...
"He's just two!"


When I'm frustrated because I'm disciplining him for the same thing over and over...
"He's got a heart that's two!"


When I'm so anxious to see a field full of fruit instead of focusing on planting seed after seed...
"He's two!"


When I take life way too seriously at times and need to just let my hair down and have a blast...
"He's two!"


I've been telling myself that all week, and you know what, we've had one of the best weeks we've ever had with our two-year-old!

Today, we decided to focus mostly on letting our hair down and having a blast. We've worn our PJ's and sometimes part of our PJ's and just a diaper, played outside in this awesome fall weather, painted everything that would stand still plus a few body parts, blown bubbles all over the back porch and backyard, climbed all over his climber, worn our lunch all over our face, worn his Elmo hat every which way on his sweet noggin', laughed our heads off, and just enjoyed the fact that...
HE'S TWO!

































(Btw, for those of you out there who actually think I'm so OCD that I actually write our son's name on the front of each of his diapers, the reality is that I am pretty OCD but in this case we were having a diaper emergency earlier in the morning, and I grabbed the closest diaper around, which for some strange reason was one from his church nursery bag. You know the saying with the church nursery...label, label, label! :-))

2 comments:

Mandi Martin said...

I really liked this post and the reminder to enjoy our kids--at whatever age. We don't get these moments back so we need to make the most of them instead of wishing them away. Garrett certainly is a cutie.

Oma and Paw Paw said...

Enjoy the little things in life, because as you grow older you will realize they were really the BIG things.