Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Who Would've Ever Thought It

I just did something I never thought I would do. I actually didn't know people ever did it at all.

I just applied Mylanta to my baby's bottom! Now some of you automatically know why I had to do that this afternoon, but I personally had never heard of that being done to anyone anytime anywhere.

Grace has had a really bad diaper rash for almost a week. We've tried everything from changing the types of diapers we use to applying different kinds of creams to soaking her in oatmeal baths. Nothing has worked. When our pediatrician suggested applying Mylanta today, I asked her nurse to repeat herself to make sure I was hearing her correctly. She said our doctor swears by the old timey method and said the rash should be gone in 24 hours. I guess time will tell.

Any of you out there in the blog world ever heard of using Mylanta to treat diaper rash? Any other good home remedies you know of? Share away.

9 comments:

shannonmichaelis said...

Just discovered that you have a blog! My remedy for the last three years is A & D - a lot like vaseline, and I use it for cuts and scrapes, Justin's surgery site at 8 months, and diaper rash. Just a thought. Your grandmother might have used it - it's that old!

Mandi Martin said...

Never heard of the Mylanta treatment. My doc recommended Neosporin. Works like a champ.

Cindy Krempa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy Krempa said...

We've used the Mylanta remedy, and it does work. It works even better if you apply the original Desitin over it. It has to be original Desitin (the one with the purple writing on the tube). Hope her little tooshie is feeling better soon!

Ruthie said...

I've used calendula cream (it's a homeopathic remedy)...since the weather is pleasant, it's also VERY helpful to get her bottom some nice fresh air as much as possible!! If you're still breastfeeding, maybe something in your diet could be affecting your milk? I think Nathan neve liked when I ate pineapple! :-)

Sarah said...

Thanks for all of the suggestions, ladies! You're awesome! Her tooshie is on its way to recovery!

Love ya!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Just got through reading your blog. I can read them here at the office, I just can’t see the pictures….I know it makes a LOT of sense.

Just another Mother’s home remedy. When the boys got really bad diaper rashes, I would wash them off really good and then just go out in the (mild ) sun, put a blanket down and just let them lay out there buck naked while I read a book. The dry air and sun did wonders for it. Just a thought!

Luv ya,
Janet

Sarah said...

Yep, letting them lay around just with a bare bottom works great! We've been trying to do that as much as possible while she plays on her playmat. She gets this look of, "FREEDOM!" :-)

Little Women said...

I have heard of soaking their bottom in milk, as cold as they can take it. (Which means you will have to microwave it a little to take the chill off) This is very hard with a wiggly toddler, but when Meagan was a newborn, we did this by putting her blessed butt in a bowl of milk. Then, I soaked a paper towel and put that in the diaper. Something about milk being a base and helping diaper rashes caused by acidic poo...I think that was the explanation. I also let her go diaperless on a blanket in the living room floor. The rash was gone in 24 hours and I don't know if it was the milk or the nakedness.